Project Manager: Stock Assessment Efficiency Initiative
Saltwater Inc. is seeking a Project Manager to work with National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) National Marine Fisheries Service (NMFS) Northeast Fisheries Science Center (NEFSC). The Project Manager will work directly with staff in the NEFSC Population Dynamics Branch (PDB) on the Stock Assessment Efficiency Initiative project.
Currently, PDB scientists compile multiple sources of data for use in stock assessments that estimate the number of fish in the population and the scientific basis for management decisions. There are numerous sets of data that must be handled with many decisions made about how missing or incomplete information is used. This process is currently known only to the lead scientist for each stock. The Stock Assessment Efficiency Initiative (StockEff) project has begun to track the many decisions made during data compilation to make stock assessments reproducible. However, other priorities have prevented completion of the project. The databases used are undergoing a large change at the end of this year, and modifications to code will be needed to ensure a smooth transition to the new system. The Project Manager will assist with the management of this effort to finish the current system and make it compatible with the new databases.
The task includes but is not limited to these duties:
- Assisting in the planning and execution of the StockEff project.
- Working closely with current StockEff participants to create an implementation plan.
- Along with project co-chairs, identifying and assigning tasks and delivery dates according to the implementation plan.
- Tracking the completion of tasks identified in the implementation plan, and identifying potential challenges to the project schedule.
- Organizing meetings with the StockEff project team in order to facilitate project completion and team unity.
- Communicating a monthly high-level status report to the Branch and Division leadership.
- Working closely with PDB staff to resolve disagreements and facilitate on-time task and project completion.
- Organizing presentations and outreach related to StockEff effort.
The position is expected to be full-time for one year. The position will be located in Woods Hole MA. The position may begin with a period of remote work, to accommodate pandemic restrictions. The position may begin with a period of remote work, to accommodate pandemic restrictions. The rate of pay will be commensurate with experience and qualifications.
Qualifications and Skills
The Project Manager must:
- Possess demonstrated experience in leading a team of scientific professionals, providing strong leadership, direction, organization, guidance, decision making and conflict resolution.
- Demonstrate excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Possess demonstrated understanding of the design, creation, and development of database systems.
- Possess experience in code migration, database change management, and data management in multiple environments and different stages of the development life cycle.
- Be capable of working as part of a team.
- Possess experience with project management tools such as Agile, JIRA, etc.
How to Apply:
Only qualified applicants that meet minimum experience or background requirements stated above need apply.
Please email your cover letter & resume – in a readable, high resolution PDF file – that includes:
- Description of how you meet the required and preferred qualifications listed.
- Work history for past 10 years or since last full-time education.
- Previous experience or training with similar requirements.
- Three professional references.
- Your name in the document FILE NAME.