Saltwater is a small, innovative company and we are currently recruiting a NEPA Specialist to provide National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA) support to National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA), National Marine Fisheries Service (NMFS) Office of Aquaculture (OA). The OA requires contractor support to draft NEPA documents in support of NOAA’s aquaculture development mission. NEPA support is required to draft documents to support efforts to establish Aquaculture Opportunity Areas as required by Executive Order on Promoting American Seafood Competitiveness and Economic Growth and assist in other aquaculture-related NEPA initiatives.
Key tasks include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Develop NEPA documents and sections thereof to support marine aquaculture development, including establishing and implementing Aquaculture Opportunity Areas.
- Review and provide expert advice and comments on draft NEPA documents written by others.
- Coordinate with OA’s NEPA Lead, NMFS NEPA Coordinators and NOAA General Counsel on NEPA issues and document reviews. When providing comments on NEPA documents, shall follow the direction of designated OA staff.
- Advise and guide staff in NEPA document development for approval by OA’s NEPA Lead prior to implementation.
- Provide input to project teams on internal and external scoping, establishing parameters for baseline conditions, developing the purpose and need statement and alternatives, descriptions, analysis tone and content, comparisons of effects to analyses under the alternatives, and addressing public comments.
- Conduct internal scoping to assist in determining the appropriate level of NEPA analysis.
- Provide advice and recommendations to OA’s NEPA Lead on NEPA matters, including final reviews of NEPA documents and recommendations for approval.
- Attend, participate and provide updates for NEPA project meetings and NEPA Coordinator meetings.
- Provide monthly progress reports to include, but not necessarily limiting to, the following: accomplishments, issues encountered, travel (including purpose, significant outcomes, actions items), recommendations, if applicable.
- Draft NEPA documents, and sections thereof, in compliance with NEPA, NOAA NEPA Implementing Procedures (NAO 216-6A and its companion manual), Endangered Species Act, and/or Marine Mammal Protection Act.
- Provide draft and final NEPA documents to OA’s NEPA Lead.
- Provide written comments on draft NEPA documents to ensure they meet the requirements of NEPA, NOAA NEPA Implementing Procedures (NAO 216-6A and its companion manual).
- Provide written input to OA’s NEPA Lead on draft NEPA procedural documents.
- Provide written comments on draft letters to ensure compliance with NEPA and NOAA NEPA Implementing Procedures (NAO 216-6A and its companion manual). Due within 2 weeks of receiving draft letter.
As Soon as Possible.
Work may be performed offsite.
Minimum Required Knowledge and Experience
- Minimum five (5) years of experience preparing NEPA documents and ensuring NEPA compliance; advanced degrees or credentials
- Knowledge of National Environmental Policy Act and Council on Environmental Quality regulations for implementing NEPA
- Knowledge of one or more of the following statutes: Endangered Species Act, and Marine Mammal Protection Act
- Experience preparing and/or reviewing categorical exclusions, environmental assessments, finding of no significant impacts, environmental impact statements (EISs), and/or record of decisions to ensure compliance with NEPA
- Experience providing advice on compliance with NEPA for actions taken under one or more of the following statutes: Endangered Species Act, or Marine Mammal Protection Act
- Experience developing NEPA policies, templates, or guidance documents
Salary commensurate with experience. Medical insurance, Holiday, PTO, Sick pay, and 401K are also offered.
How to Apply
Only qualified applicants that meet the requisite experience need apply. If interested, applicants should submit a resume and cover letter that briefly describes how they meet the qualifications listed above and why they would be the best candidate for the job.
Please send your resume and cover letter to Kathy Robinson at email@example.com