Fisheries IT & Data Management Specialist
Saltwater Inc. is a small, innovative company based in Anchorage, Alaska. Saltwater was founded in 1988 on the belief that the health of our oceans and fisheries is one of the critical issues of our time. We were one of the first companies in the U.S. to provide fishery observers and as electronic technologies have advanced, we have built a successful electronic monitoring (EM) program that uses seaworthy hardware and open-source software to collect high quality data.
We are currently looking for a person to join our EM team as a full-time Fisheries IT & Data Management Specialist. The ideal candidate will be self-motivated with strong information technology skills, interest in fisheries science, organized, resourceful, adept at creative problem-solving, and a team player who excels in a dynamic environment. The successful applicant will work with a technical mentor to ensure a smooth onboarding process.
Primary Duties & Responsibilities
The Fisheries IT & Data Management Specialist will have a broad range of responsibilities including, but not limited to:
- Provide overall IT and data management support to the Saltwater EM program.
- Modify and update software (Python and C++) to meet distinct project requirements as well as maintenance of version control systems for software and configuration data.
- Maintain EM databases; update and run SQL queries as required.
- Support EM data review efforts, including template development and version control; data processing, storage and management; computer vision annotation, training and implementation.
- Participate in embedded system hardware and software development, as needed.
- Prepare, install, configure and service EM hardware and system software.
- Provide in-person and remote troubleshooting and technical support for deployed EM systems; this includes IP cameras/networks and Linux-based embedded systems. This entails work onboard commercial fishing vessels, often in remote locations and outside of normal office hours.
- Develop training materials/guides for end-users.
- Support AI/ML collaborations.
- Identify, procure and test new hardware/system components as needed.
- Represent Saltwater on technical forums/collaborations.
- Other duties as assigned.
Required Skills & Experience
- Excellent organizational and time management skills.
- Demonstrated technical capabilities.
- Proficiency with Linux operating systems.
- Experience with Python and C++ programming and version control.
- Embedded systems hardware and software development experience.
- Familiarity with Relational Databases and SQL.
- Familiarity with GitHub and/or Bitbucket.
- AI/ML experience.
- Minimum of 3 years professional work experience.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to work both independently and be successful as a team player.
- EM or related technology experience.
- Marine biology, fisheries, or oceanography background
- Experience with IP cameras/networks in industrial settings.
- Remote and in-person troubleshooting skills.
- B.A. in computer science or related field.
- Fisheries observer or other work experience in remote marine work environments.
- Some project management experience.
This position is based in Saltwater’s main office in Anchorage, Alaska.
Competitive salary and comprehensive benefits package.
Open until filled. Review of materials will start immediately.
To apply, send your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Saltwater is a non-smoking office.
- Saltwater’s mandatory employee COVID-19 policy requires proof of Covid-19 vaccination in order to safeguard the health of our employees and their families.