Fish Aging Technician
We are currently recruiting for two Fish Aging Technicians to support the Fishery Biology Program in the preparation, processing, and aging of the appropriate hard part samples for Mid-Atlantic Fishery Management Council (MAFMC) managed species. These samples include both previously collected (backlog) and newly collected hard part structures.
Are you passionate about work that progresses the human understanding of marine species and are adept at lab work, including fish dissection and aging fish hard part samples? If so, this position is for you. Work will be performed on-site at the Northeast Fisheries Science Center in Woods Hole, MA. The contract has a one-year base period beginning July 1st and may have one 12-month option period after.
- Aging of appropriate hard parts for the following species in approximately the specified quantities:
- Summer flounder (up to 5000 samples)
- Scup (up to 2000 samples)
- Black sea bass (up to 3000 samples)
- Atlantic mackerel (up to 1500 samples)
- Butterfish (up to 3000 samples)
- Golden tilefish (up to 6000 samples)
- Bluefish (up to 2000 samples)
- Atlantic surfclam (up to 1000 samples)
- Ocean quahog (up to 1500 samples)
- Regularly meet with a Contract Oversight Team (minimum of 3 meetings per year held online) to ensure the scope of work proposed under this contract is addressed.
About Saltwater Inc.
At Saltwater Inc., we believe that high-quality data is vital to the health of our fisheries and oceans: our mission is to provide that data. We are a Women-Owned Small Business and are constantly seeking new team members who share our passion for innovation and environmental wellness.
- Bachelor’s degree in marine, estuarine, environmental science, biology, or other related fields with 1-2 years’ experience or a master’s degree.
- Knowledge of fishing and marine ecosystems, and the technical methods associated with investigating fish life history (age, growth, mortality, reproduction).
- Basic knowledge of biological science to make observations, analyze results and how to maintain accurate records.
- Experience in the identification of finfish, elasmobranchs, shellfish, and other invertebrate species commonly encountered along the Atlantic coast from Nova Scotia to Cape Hatteras.
- Demonstrated experience relevant to project-specific interests, including interpreting samples and data of fish hard parts, such as otoliths or umbos, for aging.
- Demonstrated experience with microscopes, image analysis systems (Image J), or electronic data entry systems.
- Demonstrated experience dissecting fish.
- Skill in preparing samples, mixing chemicals, making measurements, recording data, and use and maintenance of analytical instruments are necessary.
- Ability to work both rapidly and accurately, and to use computers to input and retrieve data.
- Demonstrated experience with personal computers using word processing software, spreadsheets, and email.
- Saltwater’s mandatory employee COVID-19 policy requires proof of Covid-19 vaccination to safeguard the health of our employees and their families.
- Knowledge of the operation and maintenance of a necropsy laboratory, microscopes, and chemical hoods.
Salary commensurate with experience.
Saltwater Inc. is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and a VEVRAA Federal Contractor and does not discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, parental status, veteran status, or disability status. We strive to create an inclusive workplace culture to attract the best talent and allow each member of our team to achieve their full potential and maximum productivity. Furthermore, Saltwater Inc. highly encourages qualified individuals with disabilities and protected veterans to apply for positions for which they are qualified and to notify us if there are any needs for accommodation throughout the application process and/or upon hire.
How to Apply
Only qualified applicants with the requisite experience need to apply. If interested, applicants should submit a resume and cover letter that briefly describes how you meet the qualifications listed above and why you would be the best candidate for the job, through the “Apply Today” button below.
We will honor all requests for application confidentiality.