ESA Section 7 Consultant
We are currently recruiting for an ESA Section 7 Consultant to perform technical and analytical support of government staff for duties associated with the conservation and recovery of ESA-listed species, specifically, assisting Alaska Region’s Protected Resources Division (PRD).
NOAA requires Contractor support to meet the demands of ESA consultations in Alaska. The administration had mandated expedited analysis timeframes and a 25% reduction in time to complete informal section 7 consultations. The period of performance will be October 1, 2023 – September 30, 2024, with two 1-year option periods. Work may be performed on-site and off-site.
- Task A: Early technical assistance
Act as representative for early technical assistance regarding ESA section 7 consultation requirements, distinctions between the affect determinations, authorizing incidental taking of listed species, and measures to minimize, mitigate or avoid the taking of listed species.
- Task B: Managing consultation requests
- Task C: Informal Consultations
Conduct ESA section 7 informal consultations, including communicating with federal action agencies, reviewing information to meet consultation needs, performing assessment of project effects relative to ESA standards, preparing Letters of Concurrence (LoC), assembling administrative records of consultations, completing NMFS consultation tracking database (ECO) entries, and assisting with responding to Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) requests.
- Task D: Formal Consultations
Conduct ESA section 7 formal and programmatic consultations, including communicating and meeting with federal action agencies, reviewing and assessing Biological Assessments and draft and final Marine Mammal Protection Act Incidental Harassment Authorization applications, assessing project effects upon ESA-listed marine mammals relative to ESA standards, preparing Biological Opinions, assembling administrative records of consultations, completing NMFS consultation tracking database (ECO) entries, and assisting with responding to FOIA requests.
- Task E: ESA species recovery actions
Conduct tasks related to the recovery of ESA-listed marine mammals, including outreach, data entry, and participation in working groups addressing recovery of ESA-listed species.
Minimum Qualifications & Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree in an environmental science or associated discipline (e.g., biology, ecology, fisheries biology, marine biology, natural resource management, conservation biology, landscape ecology, or restoration ecology).
- Knowledge of AKR’s ESA-listed species and their habitats.
- Knowledge of NMFS Acoustic Criteria for exposure to underwater and airborne noise.
- Knowledge of the coastal and marine ecology of Alaska
- Strong Critical thinking and the ability to assess potential impacts to ESA resources associated with coastal and marine activities (e.g., oil & gas exploration and development, dredging, harbor construction, pile driving, military operations)
- Proficient with common databases and office productivity programs.
- Strong organizational skills with ability to work independently and comply with project deadlines
- Strong communication skills and the ability to work well with others.
- Strong professional writing skills and the ability to express both biological and regulatory concepts in plain.
- Saltwater’s mandatory employee COVID-19 policy requires proof of Covid-19 vaccination to safeguard the health of our employees and their families.
Salary commensurate with experience.
Saltwater Inc. is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and a VEVRAA Federal Contractor and does not discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, parental status, veteran status, or disability status. We strive to create an inclusive workplace culture to attract the best talent and allow each member of our team to achieve their full potential and maximum productivity.
Furthermore, Saltwater Inc. highly encourages qualified individuals with disabilities and protected veterans to apply for positions for which they are qualified and to notify us if there are any needs for accommodation throughout the application process and/or upon hire.
How to Apply
Only qualified applicants with the requisite experience need to apply. If interested, applicants should submit a resume and cover letter that briefly describes how you meet the qualifications listed above and why you would be the best candidate for the job, through the Apply Today button below.
We will honor all requests for application confidentiality.