Electronic Monitoring (EM) Technician: Gulf of Mexico
Saltwater was founded in Anchorage, Alaska in 1988 on the belief that the health of our fisheries and oceans is one of the critical issues of our time. We were one of the first companies certified to provide fishery observers in the U.S. Today we are a recognized leader in the design and implementation of both fishery and marine mammal observer programs, and an innovator in the use of new technologies for data collection. Over the years our commitment to our mission—and our people—have enabled us to attract and retain top talent.
The Electronic Monitoring (EM) Technician will provide technical support as part of Saltwater’s EM Program.
This position is a full-time job based in the Gulf Region (preferably west of the Florida Panhandle) that requires extensive travel primarily to ports throughout the Gulf of Mexico. The ultimate goal of the EM technician is to provide an accurate, reliable, unobtrusive monitoring system and give vessels the support they need to integrate this technology into their fishing operation as seamlessly as possible by providing the customer service that has made Saltwater the industry standard for customer care. This support is provided both remotely, by phone and email, and in person.
EM Installs and Servicing: Electronic Monitoring (EM) Technicians are involved with all aspects of the installation and upkeep of Saltwater’s EM system on fishing vessels. Their primary duty is the preparation, installation, and servicing of the physical components of the EM system- which include IP cameras, a small computer and various sensors, and the system software. Technicians are responsible for fielding calls from vessels and providing remote troubleshooting and technical support. Extensive travel on short notice is often required to keep up with the erratic schedules of fishing fleets. EM Techs may also need to cover other technician’s territories occasionally. Although per diem for hotels, lodging, and meals is provided by Saltwater, Technicians are responsible for arranging their own travel logistics.
Data Review: EM Techs also review a portion of the data that Saltwater’s EM system produces. Depending on the fishery, this could be as simple as ensuring correct system functionality or as complex as producing full observer style data reports on fishing effort, location, and species composition. Training will be provided.
Hardware and Software: EM Technicians are responsible for overseeing proper functionality of our EM hardware and onboard software. They are expected to develop a complete understanding of how the system and software works, how to edit configuration files for each project, and how to troubleshoot a range of problems. Training will be provided. Technicians may also be involved in hardware and software modernization/ R&D projects.
Reporting: All support services must be fully documented. For some projects, the EM Technician will also need to provide the Project Manager a weekly or monthly report of service and/or installation activities.
Skills & Experience
- S. or higher in one of the natural sciences (biology, fisheries, natural resources, wildlife biology, limnology, etc.) or B.S. or higher in Computer Science, or 4+ years relevant experience.
- Fishery observer experience preferred but not required.
- Demonstrated mechanical aptitude/skills.
- Basic understanding of working safely with low voltage electronics.
- Ability to develop practical solutions to problems.
- Strong organizational and time management skills.
- Excellent people and communication skills.
- Self-starter capable of remaining highly motivated when working remotely.
- Experience working with Windows, Linux, R, GIS, Python or other scientific software.
- Experience handling logistics for travel on short notice.
- Experience working on commercial fishing vessels at sea or in port.
- Experience working in inclement weather, including extreme heat and humidity.
You’ll be a good fit for this position if you can…
- Handle a steep learning curve.
- Enjoy working as part of a small team and on a range of projects.
- Stay flexible and enjoy changes in the pace of your days.
- Be available and willing to travel on very short notice.
- Don’t mind getting your hands dirty.
- Have strong mental fortitude and an ability to deal with challenging situations and clients.
- Have a desire to grow professionally.
- Appreciate and support Saltwater’s mission.
- Saltwater Inc. is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, parental status, veteran status or disability status.
- Saltwater’s mandatory employee COVID-19 policy requires proof of COVID-19 vaccination in order to safeguard the health of our employees and their families.
This is a full-time position based in the Gulf Region (preferably west of the Florida Panhandle) The selected candidate will work from home. Basic office equipment will be provided. Relocation assistance will be provided, if necessary.
Compensation: $24-$28/hour. Medical insurance, Paid Holidays, PTO, Sick pay, and 401K match are also offered.
Open until filled. To apply, please send a current CV and Cover Letter describing your interest in this position, and 3 references to Kathryn.firstname.lastname@example.org.