Computer Programmer: Stock Assessment Efficiency Initiative
Saltwater Inc. is seeking a Computer Programmer to work with National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) National Marine Fisheries Service (NMFS) Northeast Fisheries Science Center (NEFSC). The Computer Programmer will work directly with staff in the NEFSC Population Dynamics Branch (PDB) on the Stock Assessment Efficiency Initiative (StockEff) project. Currently, PDB scientists compile multiple sources of data for use in stock assessments that estimate the number of fish in the population and the scientific basis for management decisions. There are numerous sets of data that must be handled with many decisions made about how missing or incomplete information is used. This process is currently known only to the lead scientist for each stock. The Stock Assessment Efficiency Initiative (StockEff) project has begun to track the many decisions made during data compilation to make stock assessments reproducible. This effort has been a part-time project for all StockEff participants and other priorities have prevented completion of the project. The databases used are undergoing a large change at the end of this year, and modifications to code will be needed to ensure a smooth transition to the new system. The Computer Programmer will assist with the completion of the current system and make it compatible with the new databases.
The task includes but is not limited to these duties:
- Modifying current SQL, SAS, and R code to create databases in StockEff to address remaining tasks.
- Working closely with current StockEff participants and soon-to-be-hired Project Manager to ensure accurate reflection of lead scientists decisions are captured in StockEff for all stocks.
- Developing new modules to interact with PHP code for inputting new decisions.
- Developing new code to present summaries and diagnostics of the data compilation process for each stock. Documenting data inputs and processes within StockEff.
- Working with StockEff participants to develop data management and visualization tools, including gathering/defining user requirements and performing user testing.
- Organizing workshops to demonstrate properties of StockEff to PDB staff.
The position is expected to be full-time for one year. The position will be located in Woods Hole MA. The position may begin with a period of remote work, to accommodate pandemic restrictions. The rate of pay will be commensurate with experience and qualifications.
Qualifications and Skills
The Computer Programmer must:
- Possess demonstrated experience in SQL, SAS, and R programming languages.
- Be capable of working as part of a team.
- Possess demonstrated understanding of database systems.
- Possess experience in code migration, version control, and data management in multiple environments and different stages of the development life cycle.
- Possess the ability to manage large datasets, query, extract, and organize data in useful ways to reduce performance related issues.
- Possess experience with data backup, data recovery, data dictionaries, and data standardization processes.
- Possess the ability to handle multiple projects and deadlines with flexibility between tasks.
- Have a track record of ensuring performance, security, integrity, and availability of databases.
- Implement and integrate security standards set by the NOAA/NMFS/ Office of the Chief Information Officer (OCIO).
- Demonstrate excellent verbal and written communication skills.
How to Apply:
Only qualified applicants that meet minimum experience or background requirements stated above need apply.
Please email your cover letter & resume – in a readable, high resolution PDF file – that includes:
- Description of how you meet the required and preferred qualifications listed.
- Work history for past 10 years or since last full-time education.
- Previous experience or training with similar requirements.
- Three professional references.
- Your name in the document FILE NAME.