Aquaculture Opportunity Areas Researcher
Saltwater Inc. is currently recruiting a qualified Aquaculture Opportunity Researcher within the Northwest Fisheries Science Center for a federal contract we are bidding on. This is a full time 12-16 month position based in Seattle, WA with work anticipated to begin on July 1, 2021.
The Researcher will work with the National Marine Fisheries Service to acquire scientific information in the topical areas of disease & biosecurity to support production of pEIS documents for the first two designated AOAs, updates of aquatic animal health plans, & advice for seafood trade biosecurity.
Our ideal candidate would be someone with experience in the areas of disease and biosecurity. A working knowledge of NOAA Fisheries writing style or the ability to acquire that knowledge is a must.
A. Construct a database of scientific information on diseases of target aquaculture organisms & on agents affecting aquatic animal health & seafood biosecurity.
- Use of multiple information resources, including but not limited to refereed literature; government & industry reports; relevant workshops, conferences & symposia; & subject matter expert consultations.
- Identify disease & biosecurity impacts from aquaculture activities in federally managed waters.
- Identify potential prevention & mitigation of those impacts.
- Collateral applications of use include recommended biosecurity actions to protect the health of aquacultured species & best management practices for updates of aquatic animal plans & seafood trade.
- Consult with the project lead on database structure and quality of information.
B. Organize, conduct, & summarize workshops for information collection
- Conduct and summarize anticipated two (2) virtual workshops during the base year that support the development and population of the database described above that include both federal employees and experts from both government and non- government institutions.
- Consult with the project lead on workshop organization and coordination.
- Create and provide a written summary document for each workshop.
C. Synthesis of informational documents & participation in consultation meetings to support writing activities of AOA NEPA leads, aquatic animal health plan updates, & biosecurity of seafood trade
- Guidance on document format will be provided by the AOA NEPA writers &/or the NMFS Office of Aquaculture and should support and inform staff who are writing the pEIS for each AOA, animal health plan updates, and seafood trade biosecurity issues.
- Consultation with the project lead throughout this task.
- Bachelor’s degree, or higher, from an accredited college or university with a major directly related in a field of study with emphasis in aquatic animal health, fisheries sciences, aquaculture, marine ecology, or biological oceanography.
- Two (2) years of experience in related fields or a combination of such totaling six (6) years combined of education &/or experience. A higher-level degree (e.g., Master’s, PhD) in these fields may be substituted for experience.
- Familiarity with relational databases.
- Demonstrated ability to accumulate relevant scientific information from a wide variety of sources & produce synthesis documents with properly annotated bibliographies.
- Demonstrated experience working with databases capable of absorbing different types of information (text, numerical data, pdf files, photographs).
- Ability to interact with scientists & aquaculture industry professionals representing a range of disciplines & located at international institutions.
- Demonstrated ability to give oral presentations such as conference presentations (oral and/or poster) or other public presentations.
- Excellent writing and organizational skills.
- Must be able to drive a government vehicle.
- NOAA security badge.
Compensation & Benefits
Salary commensurate with experience. Medical insurance, Holiday, PTO, Sick pay, and 401K are also offered.
How to Apply
Only qualified applicants that meet the requisite experience need apply. If interested, applicants should submit a resume and cover letter that briefly describes how they meet the qualifications listed above and why they would be the best candidate for the job.
Please send your resume and cover letter to Kathy Robinson at email@example.com