Work at Saltwater
How to Apply
North Pacific Groundfish
Alaska Shellfish (Crab)
West Coast Groundfish
Links for Observers
Skills, Experience and Education Required:
• University degree, minimum a BSc in Biology/Marine Sciences/Fisheries or a related field.
• A minimum of 100 days of MMO experience at sea.
• High level of written and spoken English.
• Medium level of Spanish language.
• Valid ENG1 or equivalent medical.
• Valid STCW sea survival certificate. (Please list your safety certificates as they may be substituted)
• Valid passport and the ability to travel overseas.
• The ability to pass a medical physical and spend at least 64 continuous days at sea.
• Be open to diverse food options served at sea.
• You can commit to 68 days of continuous work beginning on or around 27 July 2020.
• Provide your own raingear, boots, gloves and personal items for deployment.
• Provide your own cell phone with international calling plan and WhatsApp.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Saltwater Inc. is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer. Our jobs are open to all qualified applicants regardless of race, color, sex, gender, sexual orientation, age, religion, national origin, marital status, pregnancy, disability, military status, or any other basis prohibited by federal, state, or local law, military and veteran status, genetic makeup, or any other legally protected status.
Marine Mammal Observer (MMO) in the Falkland Islands
MMOs will be deployed on bottom trawl vessels in the Falkland Islands Loligo squid fishery. They will be fishing in the Southwest Atlantic. The main role of the MMO will be to conduct observations to estimate seal abundance per species and describe seal-fishing gear interactions. Additionally, MMO duties will include sampling Loligo catches on a daily basis for biometrics, monitoring the performance of bird scaring lines (BSL), documenting seabird mortality, and weighing and measuring samples of juvenile toothfish. Work will begin approximately mid July 2020 in the Falkland Islands. There will be two seasons of 68 days each (64 continuous days at sea for each season). The second season will be in February 2021. Additional cruises in the following years may be an option. Although 64 continuous days at sea are expected during each season, short transshipment port calls may occur.
Your responsibilities will include:
• Monitor at least three trawls per day (i.e., shooting and hauling) and record seal abundance, their interactions with fishing gear, live escapees, live releases and incidental mortalities.
• Real-time reporting of seal bycatch. Carcass sampling or measurement and marking.
• Complete two excel data sheet forms on a daily basis and send the files to the client three times per week (laptop computer and internet will be provided onboard the vessel).
• Record details from fishing activity: shoot, turn, and haul times and positions, commercial catch and bycatch (provided by the vessel/logbook).
• Monitor Seal Exclusions Devices (SED) and BSL type and maintenance, net cleaning and discard management.
• Daily monitor and record seabird interactions with fishing gear during seal observations.
• Record seabird mortalities and reveal their possible causes, collect and preserve all carcasses if required.
• Daily measure 100 Loligo specimens and weigh the entire squid sample.
• Daily weigh all identifiable toothfish bycatch and measure total length of an accumulated number of 100 specimens per week.
How to Apply:
Please send your resume and cover letter as soon as possible to firstname.lastname@example.org. In your resume, please describe how you meet all of the requirements listed above. In your cover letter, please describe why you would be a good fit for this job, any work/travel overseas, and your work on boats as an MMO. If you have questions, please email them to email@example.com.
If you do not meet ALL of the requirements, please do not apply.
Forward to a friend
Saltwater Inc. • 733 N Street, Anchorage, Alaska 99501 • Phone (907) 276-3241 • Toll-Free (800) 770-3241